Sunday, September 11, 2022

Top Five Sources of News and Information

    There is such a variety of news sources available that, sometimes, it can be difficult to determine which to read. Some are focused on national, global, or local news. Some are oriented towards entertainment, spectacle, or viewership. Some are reputable and some are unreliable. However, each fulfill a purpose and draw a specific audience.

    Personally, I tend to gravitate towards national, global, or political news. Consequently, my top five sources of information are The New York Times, the Associated Press, AllSides, The Economist, and Reuters.

 The New York Times is usually one of the first sources I browse for informative and news-related articles because of their reputation for detailed and factual reporting. In my experience, I have found many thorough and engaging articles on this site with quotes from reputable individuals, further descriptions of unfamiliar topics, and examples that give appropriate background to the subject matter. That being said, The NY Times does tend to have left leaning bias in some of its reporting that caters to a more liberal audience; however, this issue can be solved through comparison with other news sources that lean towards the opposite end of the political spectrum, or those that are more moderate in nature.


AllSides is a site that endeavors to provide balanced news to the public by categorizing news articles of specific topics as being written from a right-leaning, left-leaning, or central perspective. This gives readers the opportunity to compare different political perspectives and establish the true facts behind the issue. I find the ratings on this site helpful when I am trying to better understand the context of a news story and parse out the different opinions and beliefs involved. 

The Associated Press
 
is a global news organization that is one of the most trusted sources for unbiased news. As such, I find it to be a reliable source of information on US news and helpful for general updates in world news. Also, the Associated Press reports on a variety of other topics including politics, sports, entertainment, business, and technology to appeal to different interests. 




The Economist is a source I look at for economic and business related news in the US and global markets. My use of this site began when I was writing papers for a high school economics class, but I found their articles comprehensive, informative, and detailed in regards to economic patterns, predictions, and possibilities. They report on both large scale and small scale occurences in the economy. Additionally, with the Economist being a British newspaper, I appreciate their neutral descriptions and predictions of the potential effects of US economic policy that are not impacted by political leanings, since they have little to no stake in US politics.

Reuters is another neutral news source that I use for trustworthy stories in international news. It helps keep me up-to-date on world news and provides a comparison site for alternative news outlets. Additionally, I read Reuters to find stories from different areas of the world that my not be covered by other sources.  

No comments:

Post a Comment